Tuesday, October 30, 2007

long day but a good run

I feel like it is much later in the week than Tuesday. Yesterday was a long day. Had the alarm set for 4 am to catch my 6:45 am flight. ugh. I had Monday's with early flights. Jacob and I had the debate if it is better to travel on Sunday versus waking up nearly 3 hours before the sunrise to fly the same day. I say no. And here is my reasoning - you take a 5pm flight to get you into Florida by 7:30pm. I would have to leave my house by 3pm to catch the flight and of course I didn't pack on a Saturday night so my day would be over at 1pm while I try to catch up on work I need to take with me, packing, and general getting ready to go. Your Sunday is then ruined. I complain about 4 am but it is a heck of a lot better than losing a Sunday to work travel. Now if I was headed to a beach...ah, for another day I suppose.

Anyways, woke up at 4am finally made it to the site around noon and left for the hotel around 5pm. I quickly changed to run a planned 5-7 mile easy treadmill run. The schedule called for 7 miles but I was tired! Some lady was walking on the mill so no dice. I stay in Hampton Inn's and there is only ever one treadmill if I'm lucky. I decided to go back upstairs and grab my phone, debit card, and ID (after marathon 1 I'll never leave home without some form of identification now!) and head outside. Now, I have traveled here several times and never ventured outside usually due to the extreme heat but the only path I know of is a concrete sidewalk. Yesterday was humid but not unbearable. I told myself I would go for as long as I could but no pressure. Then as I turned onto the main road I hit the headwind. A little over 2 miles I came to a gas station - Thank God! I got some water and stretched my calves. Very close to having a nasty charlie horse. That would not have been good. The run back went smoothly and I felt strong. I know the tailwind helped! I am not sure on time (left the running watch at home) or distance (maybe short of 5 miles).

No workout today because I am headed home. I have a local visit tomorrow (which should be interesting) then speed work is on the schedule. And it is Halloween so that means Jacob and I are headed out for our annual dinner at a haunted bar (the Red Lion). We have never seen the ghost but the costumes are always entertaining and the fish and chips are excellent!

5 comments:

Marcy said...

Sounds like a good run ;D You should have jumped on the mill with the ole lady and started breathing down her neck, maybe then she would've jumped off :P LOL JK!!

RunToTheFinish said...

I have the same issue when I travel for work..1 treadmill in use by someone barely moving and then nothing nearby that's a very good running area. Congrats on getting out there!

The Red Lion sounds too fun, I'm jealous.

Bill Carter said...

I don't know how you do it. It is hard enough to find time for a run when I am at home. I think it is awesome that you still run despite having to travel.

Btw, I would also much rather take the early flight and get home ASAP.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Nicely done on the run! And Red Lion is supposed to be awesome on Hallowen night! My friend had a party there a few years ago.

Enjoy the fish & chips!! :)

Andria said...

GRR! The wind is awful! We have tons of it around here and it drives me crazy how I'm always running into the wind on the longest leg of my run no matter where I'm running.

I'm in agreement with you on travel. Much rather do it in the wee hours of the morning rather than waste half my day.