Sunday, September 2, 2007

Surprise, surprise

I'm still amazed that I ran 20 miles by myself yesterday! I didn't really believe it was really happening until mile 15. At that point of the run I have to run up and over a short bridge that goes over Lakeshore Drive. Going up the bridge - oh my. At this point I noticed all my parts were achy. But I kept moving. Around that point I could feel myself slow slightly. I just kept focusing on getting to the next point usually a mile and a half away. Then J surprised me! He was waiting for me on his bike by the 17 mile mark. Yeah! So happy to have someone to talk to. So I turned off the ipod and told him all the stories I had from the last 2 hours and 40 minutes. And surprisingly a lot had happened along the my run that morning. I wouldn't say the last 3 miles went by in a breeze; that was hardly the case. My hips, ankles, and feet were on fire! At 20 I was in amazement that I was actually there and shock. It is like my brain separated from my body so I don't fully believe that I just ran all that way. I slowed to a walk for the last 1/2 mile home. The walking hurt more than the last 3 hours of running.

Later in the day J and I went for lunch and ran some errands (slowly). Then J surprised me again! With a massage!!! Oh what a sweet surprise... I walked in hobbling and 1 hours later walked out almost normal. I could squat down and pick up things with very little pain. I am sore today but it is not unbearable - Thankfully!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

20 miles is amazing! Good for you for bouncing back so quickly! Isn't amazing how the long runs become an entire life time. It may be 2 hours + but it feels like you have volumes to catch others up on when you are done. I bet it was nice to see some company 3 miles to the end. Great job!