Saturday, October 23, 2010

weekend running

Friday's 8 miler felt effortless. Even though I had run the 2 previous days they were easier runs so my legs still felt fresh. Friday the temps were cool and there was no wind. All the makings for a fab run! I tried to hold a bit back because I knew I had a longer run the next morning and I was running these two a bit closer together than I should but my legs wouldn't listen. It felt fantastic and I finished with a ridiculous smile on my face.

Saturday morning I woke up late thanks to staying up to late watching scary movies. Goodness, I love cheesy horror films. The last 2 weeks of October are prime time horror cheese! Anyways, Maggie
this is how she sleeps on car rides to Ohio and back
the cutest and most annoying cat in the world thought it was time for us to wake up. Normally, she wants nothing to do with us unless she's bored.

It took me awhile but I finally made it out the door for my long run. Yeah, it was closer to noon than not at this point. It was rainy but warm and I didn't want to run but knew I had to (the schedule said so!). I wore my Nike running rain coat... big mistake... HUGE. It cleared up and became very warm less than halfway though and I started sweating through the coat. I was miserable. My legs were heavy, I was overheating, and I couldn't find my happy running place mentally. My head was all over the place. I didn't want to be on a long run which is the absolute worst. I can handle heavy, tired legs but when my head's not in the running game I'm ruined. The entire run I spent making deals with myself. "Just get to point... at the halfway point you'll... at this point you can walk..., etc. I spent a lot more time walking than I would have liked but at the end of the day I got 15 miles done. I may have been happy about mile 4-6 then it was over for me. I couldn't find the "sweet spot" and it was rough. The run didn't go as I had hoped but it was done and it was a heck of a lot more than a lot of other people did on Saturday. At least that's what I tried to tell myself.

It may not have been my day but it got done. We have good days, we have bad days, and we have those days that fall in between. I'm glad I didn't give up on myself no matter how I was feeling. And that says a lot.


Xenia said...

Maggie is SO CUTE. Good job pushing through on that long run. For me, that ends up being a more satisfying/rewarding run than the ones that go smoothly.

ajh said...

Good job on finishing a tough run! I'd love to be on your blog roll and am adding you as well.

Marlene said...

Good job plugging through the long run. It's so hard when you just can't find a groove and settle in.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

no doubt it's tough when you just can't find that right rhythm and girl I applaud you for a noon run, my brain doesn't work that way

kilax said...

Aww, Maggie! Is she quiet in the car? You let her loose? Data has to be in his carrier.

Was the jacket all you had on and you could not tie it around your waist? I would be miserable too. 15 miles is pretty high! Are you training for something and I forgot about it?

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Those rough running days are so darn hard, aren't they? I hate them too. The best part is being able to say you did it at the end!

Anonymous said...

Отличная статья! большое спасибо автору за интересный материал. Удачи в развитии!!! :)
[url=]Сериалы скачать[/url]

runner26 said...

great job on the tough 15! those can be the worst, but you pushed through it!

MCM Mama said...

Glad you got it done, despite not feeling the love. Way to hang in there.