Saturday, August 25, 2007

Here's to not stopping...


Although I may have been excited yesterday to run outside for the first time all week my body was not too happy with me. First, it was a struggle to get out of bed this morning. Who knows why, just one of those mornings I guess. I kept hitting the snooze and finally at 8:30 am I rolled out of bed grudgingly. I went to bed early enough (11pm) and ate a good dinner (shrimp pasta and a salad - I'm not usually this good) last night yet my body just wasn't feeling the 13 miler today. I kept myself entertained the first hour by inspecting all the storm damage along the lakefront; it was crazy! Trees split or uprooted, fences taken down by wind and trees. My left hip starting screaming around mile 8.5 at which the same time I felt my enormous blister (that appeared out of nowhere on Weds) on the inside of my right big toe swell in size and pain. It's pretty gross. I have never had a more disgusting blister. I have lost toenails and had blood blisters and never been this grossed out! Those last 4.5 miles were excruciating. But I didn't stop. I went much slower than last weekend but I guess you have to take the good running days with the bad running days. Here's hoping next week's long run is a good running day!

On the upside I realized I really needed new kicks. J (my boyfriend) gave me grief over the cost. But hey, if they feel right then they are right for me! I had foot surgery about 9years ago and cheap running shoes have been my enemy since. J says he is going to switch my shoes with some $30 pair and see if I notice. I told him to start running 40 miles a week in cheap shoes and not complain and then he could give me grief. I got the shoes.
That's my kitten Maggie checking out my new shoes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just came across your blog and enjoyed reading it.

I'm assuming you're running Chicago Marathon because of the date and also because of your location.

I'm also running it for the 11th time. it's my all-time favorite race and hope you have a great time.

good luck with the rest of your training and don't compromise on good shoes.

I'll look forward to following your training progress.

Tom