Wednesday, September 29, 2010

next race?

It's only 3 days since my last half marathon and I'm already trying to find the next race. I tend to have an idea of what races I want to do then sign up based on how I'm feeling last minute. There are very few races I plan far enough in advance to save money. I know it's not the most cost efficient option but I have saved myself a few times when I ended up having to be somewhere else on race weekend.

Prior to the Akron 1/2 I was on Facebook (when am I not) and saw an ad for a Monster Dash in Chicago. Normally I don't pay too much attention to FB ads but this one caught my eye. I had never heard about this race. I clicked over and liked what I saw. Half marathon in downtown Chicago = easy travel. People dress up, there is sweet swag like fleece running jackets, hats, and a belt buckle medal! Heck for the kids run they get a fun light up monster t-shirt.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about running another 1/2 about 4 weeks later and the day before I leave on a 2 week vacation so I didn't sign up right away. After how good I felt last weekend I think I want to keep it going and see what I've got on a flat course. The course is a simple out and back on the lakeshore path starting downtown and heading south. I'm pretty sure there may be 1 hill and after Akron it's a joke of a hill. Running a race on Halloween has to be fun - right?!?!

So how do you choose your races? Do you sign up last minute or are you a super planner?

13 comments:

Marlene said...

I am a SUPER planner! I am up for a last minute race occasionally, but I'm a bit anal about my racing AND training, so generally it is all laid out months in advance.

ANYWAY, this sounds like a fun one! I have a race on Halloween too. Totally dressing up!

RunToTheFinish said...

oh the halloween runs are a lot of fun...though it was like 100 degrees here last year, so I'm not doing it again!

Looks like my 1 day for running in chicago will be October 12 in the morning or evening. Fingers crossed you are in town

kilax said...

I am totally thinking about signing up for that half. The hoodie is inticing. And I would LOVE to run in costume!!!

I am usually a super planner. Extreme planner. But I have had unexpected circumstances that have caused me to miss races. So now I am trying to sign up later. It's hard!

Anonymous said...

I don't tend to plan in advance but I feel like I missed out on some good races this year. I'm going to sit down early in 2011 and figure out which races I really want to run and mark their registration openings in my calendar.

Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete said...

I plan around the beginning of the year like a total nerd. LOL! That Monster race sounds like fun! :D

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

You are so like me! That race sounds cool. Maybe I should travel to Chi and do it too! I think the last minute thing makes it exciting!

Teamarcia said...

I'm usually a super planner too. I'd be all over that 1/2 if I wasn't planning a long hibernation.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I struggle a bit too about when to register, it's bitten me in the ass too! Sounds like a run race!!

Jess said...

My friend Jenn is one of the people working with the organizers of that race (she blogs at eatingbender.com). It looks like sooo much fun. If I was in there area I totally do it.

As far as signing up for races, for some I plan way for in advance. Like New Orleans, but others I'm more laid back about.

Gabrielle @ Weightless said...

I did "Run Like Hell" in Cincinnati a few years ago...It was a 5K at night through a cemetery. Super fun, although I suggest if you are planning on dressing in costume, make sure to do a test-run in it before the race. I had some pretty major wardrobe malfunctions with my lady bug get-up during that race; luckily it was only 3 miles.

J said...

I really try to plan out my races but usually don't sign up until the date gets closer unless its a big race (half or 15k). for the 5k small races, I just wait because sometimes things come up and i can't make the race and then I don't waste the money. There is a race here on Halloween, I am thinking of running it but prolly wont wear a costume.

greydawn said...

I plan way ahead knowing that a specific race is coming soon gets me out the door on my lazy mood days and I save money

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like a fun race.

I'm not much of a planner unless I'm running a marathon. The rest of the time my plans are more related to where I can run while on travel than any sort of thinking about what distances I want to run. And some signing up happens way in advance, some happens a day or two beforehand. Totally depends on my mood. ;o)