Wednesday, December 1, 2010

cold and snow = treadmill

Today was one of those days I started to question my sanity. Why did I think it wouldn't be too big of a deal to run high mileage needed for the Goofy training during winter in Chicago? The real feel temperature was in the teens, there were snow flurries, and I couldn't get warm even sitting next to my office space heater wrapped in a blanket. I could not fathom running outside for 10 miles. The treadmill didn't sound much better but at least I could wear shorts and a t-shirt. Treadmill it was. Though because I got to my gym much later than planned thanks to taking my sweet time walking around the house I cut the run down to 8 miles. I could have banged out those last 2 but I still needed to buy groceries for dinner and cook. The run itself was uneventful. My legs actually felt fresh even though I have been a bit sore the past couple of days. I zoned out to some cheesy TV shows on my phone and tried not to breathe in too deeply because I'm pretty sure the guy 2 treadmills over was letting them rip.

I'm slightly concerned about the next couple weeks of running. My will to run in cold weather has left the building. In the past I have gotten out there and gotten it done. It's taking a lot to work myself up to even getting dressed for cold weather running. I may need to start finding ways to love... err... tolerate the mill at least for a few weeks.

16 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

ooooh, I remember those cold bitter winters in the midwest. I've only been to Chicago once but it was also in the winter and it was soooo cold. I'm thankful for being in Oregon now where it may rain A TON but it is relatively mild. Good luck with your training.

ajh said...

Good luck. If it is on the weekend and LIGHT out I don't mind the cold. I hate long distances on the treadmill - longest I've ever done is 7 maybe one time - but I also hate the dark. I've never trained for a marathon with long miles at this time of year. It would be tough.

RobinLK said...

L2LTM: Learn to Love The Mill...

You CAN do it!!

Sending encouragement and hugs from sunny (but officially cold tonight/40s) Orlando. :-)

L2LTM: your new motto... LOL

Q said...

The cold is so un-motivating! It may sound silly, but the effort to put on all that stupid extra clothing is harder than the run itself!

Johann said...

8 miles on the treadmill is no joke, well done! good luck with the winter training. You made me realize again how fortunate I am to be able to train outside only.

Teamarcia said...

I know I've been a total wuss this week too. Thankfully you've only got a couple of weeks before the taper! The wind sucks.

Angela said...

Good for you for getting those 8 miles in and on the treadmill. I understand what you mean about cold weather running and I don't have snow where I live. I can't wait to hear about your Goofy Challenge.

Marlene said...

I have NO will to run in the cold this season. I don't know what my problem is, but I can not wear enough clothes to stay warm. I'm cold all day, all night and going out into the cold for hours at a time is just not appealing! (hence the treadmill 13-miler last weekend)

J said...

It is so hard to get out there now when it is cold and windy! Hopefully you can find things to distract you while running on the treadmill!

Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete said...

I think it's hilarious that I embrace cold-weather running and hate hate hate running in the summer. I bought a trainer for my bike to use...wait for it...during the summer, where most cyclists will use theirs obviously in the winter.

Such a huge difference when you live in Texas. HEHE! You'll make it, hon! Don't fret!

Nej said...

I feel your pain! I love cold weather, but it's the dark + ice that is haunting me. I'm, honestly, terrified to run outside and fall on the ice I can't see. (sigh) I've been doing my short runs during the week inside and plan to take it outside for my long runs on the weekend....but, if I should have to run inside for those long runs.....ugh!!!! :-)

Tara said...

Ugh, sending warm thoughts your way. I'm not sure which is worse, running in the frigid cold or the dreadmill.

Good job getting those 8 miles in though!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I am not sure I should comment now, as I JUST got of the treadmill, and it was TERRIBLE! You see? We have a heat vent right above my treadmill. It blows hot air on me as i run, and nearly kills me. My hubs keeps promising to move it, but hasn't. I know what you mean with the cold weather though, I am not sure what is worse!

chris mcpeake said...

Oh how I hate that dread mill. I would rather freeze anyday

kilax said...

Hang in there! You are almost done with training! You can stand the treadmill these last few runs! Maybe watch some holiday shows? (Just avoid the stinky guys ;))

greydawn said...

cold sucks for sure. brings me back to cross country days growing up in Cleveland. Thanks for the tips about fluid/food on long runs to keep me from hours of shivering! I will try it next weekend and see if it makes a difference. and might I suggest a gas-mask LOL!