Thursday, January 7, 2010

new year quick catch-up

When we last left off I was taking a break from the computer. So to catch you up on my life now and over these last few weeks I'm installing the ever helpful and effective bullet point system.
  • We visited central Illinois family, Ohio family over a span of 7 days. I scored some great loot at both places :) Apparently I was a good kid this year!
  • I ate a lot. It still hurts.
  • Long hours in the car and little time at home. Family is worth it but sometimes it's a bit much.
  • My dad had his last chemo treatment the week before Christmas. We find out this month whether or not he's in remission or it's time for the next step.
  • In Ohio, there were drunken plans of my friend's husband pacing me in Cleveland this year to break 4 hours. After a disappointing 4:23 last year there I'm tempted to head back in May. Decisions, decisions.
  • Sister and the brother-in-law came to stay with us over New Years. Way, way, way too much drinking and food intake. It's what we do best.
  • I discovered my love of Mario Kart. 4 year olds kick my butt but it's all good. Although, I have to watch it because those cute little Nintendo characters make me swear up a storm.
  • I re-discovered my love of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I can't get enough of the cheesy, campy, butt-kicking goodness. And Angel (David Boreanez) is nice on the eyes :)
  • My husband left for 2 days after New Years and those two days were some of the most boring, wonderfully lazy days of my time off.
  • I'm stuck in Atlanta thanks to the first storm of 2010. My Thursday 4:21 pm flight was cancelled a full 22 hours before take-off, before any weather hit... what the hell?!?
  • I love United text updates. I was able to book a crappy hotel and extend my rental car with plenty o' time. Now no sleeping in the airport :)
  • I packed extra underwear... that's really the only plus of this trip.
  • I ripped my running shoes this afternoon. It made for an interesting 4+ interval miles.
  • The New Orleans 1/2 is in 7 weeks. I'm sooooo not ready
  • I ran outside in the frozen tundra in Chicago several times. I don't mind it until my lungs start to burn and I can no longer feel my chin.
  • This day delay left me with time to hit up the treadmill/get another run done this week. So yea! another positive!
  • I'm working hard to keep better track of my miles this year. I went old school and bought a runner's calender to record the details. I can't always take multiple computers with me when I travel so writing the details down works best. I think this might help keep me motivated.
  • I can't wait to get home.
  • I'm hoping some snow fairy dug my car out of the outside O'Hare parking lot. I don't really have appropriate digging your car out the snow apparel with me. Maybe I'll count the digging as cross-training for the day :)
It doesn't seem like much but it kept me busy enough. Honestly it was very nice to not have to do anything if I didn't want to. But now it's time to get back on the wagon! Oh and to start planning my next true vacation. I need a true, lay on the beach with a good book, vacation.

15 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like a lovely break. Hope you manage to get home from Atlanta soon!

X-Country2 said...

Hopefully you get home soon.

Anonymous said...

Amen for extra underwear!! Sounds like you have been enjoying things. Hope all goes well with your dad.

kristen said...

Phew, you've been a busy girl. I hope your home safe and sound by now, or at least en route. That sucks.

7 weeks is plenty of time for you to do a half. Might not be a PR, but it wont be a PW. Just use it as an opportunity to see the city and have fun!

Everything sounds like a good idea when your drunk....I wonder if he'll take you up on that pacing offer:)

Jess said...

Sounds like you've had a fun and busy couple weeks. Sorry you got snowed in down in ATL. Hopefully you're home soon!

Tricia said...

Sounds too busy for a vacation :)

The Laminator said...

Lots of R and R for you! I love MarioKart too! Oh man, I can get stuck playing that for days with my bro! Anyway, hope you get motivated and sign up for revenge...haha!

Have a great weekend!

runner26 said...

hope you got home okay! and yes--here's to beach vacations!! esp w/ all this frigid weather..

kilax said...

I hope you find out the best about your dad!

lifestudent said...

This weather is killing us too, so I get your need for a vacation. We are currently looking into flights and hotels for a trip somewhere warmer. Gotta get out of here!

C said...

Ah, the holidays... :)

chris said...

Those drunken plans do exist. I signed up for the Cleveland full on Friday. I may need to be drunk to run the thing, but I'm doing it. Funny thing is, Cleveland is ALWAYS my worst race. Time to change that mindset. Gonna join me?

By the way, Im tagging you on my blog.

RunToTheFinish said...

yeahhh come to FL for a beach and book time, it's a great place to be. Seriously people in the south can't handle this weather, miami is freaking out!

Bill Carter said...

Hi Jamie

It is great to catch up with you. I kind of took one of those computer breaks myself as an injured runner can come off as a little whiny...

You have been busy. I did a whole bunch of family stuff and had my Brunswick OH family up for a few days.

I love MarioKart and its ridiculosity. Princess Peach?

Take care and best of luck with your New Orleans 1/2. I love NO and can't wait to go back.

Anonymous said...

I just found the website who reviews about
Several
home based business opportunity

If you want to know more here it is
home business ideas