Thursday, October 15, 2009

Post-Marathon Recovery

Recovery after the marathon... In my case it's a time to eat all the junk you desire, sleep as much as you can, swear at stairs or any sudden movements, and generally walk around like a weeble wobble. Oh then you also constantly think "what now?"

Well I can tell you immediately following the marathon I consumed most of this...
Yes, that is a 60 ounce margarita in all it's glory. It's a Sunday fav (only $18!?!) and even more-so after running a marathon! Picture was taken by a very crappy cell phone because I forgot my camera :( After that, table-side guacamole, and a big fat chimichanga (all split with the hubs) I was feeling much better!

I also had a lot of time to analyze the race pictures. There is seriously 1 decent picture. And I learned I run with my head cocked to the side. It also appears I twist my torso abnormally far. Odd...

mile 22 and still smiling...

I have no recollection of where this is on the course. On the back half for sure because I'm no longer wearing gloves.

probably one of the "better" finish pictures... I'm in awe of how many are finishing at the same time. I knew it was crowded but wow!

Thursday was my first day back to work and working out. I was really wishing I had called the entire week off just because starting your week on a Thursday kind of stinks. It was a long day at work and I was going to skip the light cross-training I had scheduled but I was good and went. It wasn't much and it made me realize how much I wish I was running instead. Not a huge fan of the gym. Time on the machines seems to go so slowly.

And now that I can walk nearly normal again it's time to figure out what's next! I always go through a post-marathon depression; it's tough to not have the big day to look forward to any longer. Plus, I don't do well without a running schedule or a goal race. Unfortunately I'm very limited now that race season in the midwest is winding down. There is a Hot Chocolate 15K that start's less than a mile from my house in 3 weeks. I ran it last year and although the hot chocolate was gross and it was freaking cold (always the chance of snow in November!) the rest of the chocolate and the swag bag were awesome. Plus I actually have a friend running this year! Races are always better when you know someone! I'm also looking into 1/2 marathons in slightly warmer climates as the cold descends. So we shall see...

12 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Nice recovery meal LOL!

I think we are all in the "what's next" mode right now.

Bill Carter said...

HI Jamie

Congratulations on such a great experience!! You ran a super smart race and despite the little idiosyncracies that are so much a part of the marathon (crazy Garmin, missing support team, etc) you perservered and ran a great time. And I believe had a great time as well.

I thought your pictures were absolutely great and showed you experiencing all the marathon has to offer. It is certainly a physical challenge, but the mental victory may be even more worthwhile.

Enjoy your recovery and reward yourself for such a great accomplishment.

kristen said...

Serious margarita. Nice recovery drink :)

I know what you mean. I am almost 2 weeks out from my marathon and I swear, I've been a mess the whole time. I'm running tomorow and I can't wait!

Jess said...

I hate the post marathon blues. I always want to get something on the calendar right away to have another fun race to look forward to!

lifestudent said...

Ive been pondering the Hot Chocolate, then just realized that my stupid husband has a Bears game that day. So no babysitter. DARNIT.

Anyway, where did you get the killer margarita? I need one (or two) of those.

kilax said...

Great photos! I know a few people doing the hot chocolate. It sounds like a lot of fun! :)

runner26 said...

yum for margaritas! 60 ounces, wow!

hopefully you'll find your "next big thing" soon ;)

The Laminator said...

So my question is...so how long did it take to finish that drink? It looks absolutely massive!

Congrats again on your race again!

J said...

Great race pictures! You look so good! Enjoy the weekend!

Marlene said...

CHEERS to that margarita! Well-deserved for sure!

I love that you are thinking about your next race(s) already.

RunToTheFinish said...

hooooly margarita!! That would have knocked me out.

agreed starting a work week on thurs...not fun, but just think now you have 2 vacation days you didn't use for the next marathon!

Tara said...

That drink is bigger then you are! LOL. Can't wait to hear what is next on your agenda!