Monday, September 19, 2011

Found

I think I might be back! Or at least temporarily cured from my running burn-out.

I am not sure when it happened.  Sometime around training for the Cleveland marathon last spring or just after but I was just done.  I wanted nothing to do with running, reading about running, even thinking about running.  But I continued on for so many reasons that make absolutely no sense.  Finally I had to step away starting this past summer.  Not 100% but I definitely had no plan, focused on the gym, and stopped worrying if I worked out at all.  It worked for the most part only because it was so hot outside!  Ultimately I even stopped reading most running blogs.  Too many times I would get more depressed after reading about everyone's awesome achievements.  I found myself comparing me to all of you and getting jealous.  I was happy for everyone but I couldn't help feeling like the only who didn't love running all.the.time.  I didn't like what I was feeling and how that was transcribing into my daily life.

For me, I had to step away and realize that over the last 9 years running has been a roller coaster of love and hate.  Breaks are what I need; sometimes those breaks last longer than a week and even go on months.  I needed to realize I don't always have to compete.  I shouldn't compare.  I need to run for me and me alone.  It's okay to not love the running.  And it's okay if I don't go out there and do a weekly speedwork/tempo/hill/long run and instead run 4 easy runs.

This past weekend I headed out in the spitting rain to get some miles in.  4 turned to 5 turned to 7.  I actually seemed to have felt the endorphins kick in around 4 1/2 ;) I found purpose once again in the sweat.  The sweat that only comes from one kick ass run.  

For now, I'm on the way up.  I am back to getting looking forward to runs, itching to get out there on the lakefront path.  I'm back up to double-digit weekly mileage and considering a half for fun later this year. I'll ride this upswing as long as I can and make sure to keep my eyes open for signs of overtraining.

12 comments:

bobbi said...

yay!! Sometimes a break is exactly what the doctor ordered...glad you are loving it once again :)

lifestudent said...

welcome back (maybe)!

:)

Elaine said...

Everyone needs a break and a chance to fall back in love with pounding the pavement, welcome back!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Yep, I agree. we get to have these breaks and that is cool!

Teamarcia said...

It's good to see you back! There's much to be said for taking a break from running. Does the body and spirit good sometimes.

Scarlett said...

Sounds you like you needed the break. I've been feeling blah about running lately and am trying to chnage things up a bit, new routes, new music. New goals...

runner26 said...

just in time for fall ;)

audgepodge said...

I totally hear ya on this post! Nothing wrong with a little bit of a running break... nice thing is you live in a great city where it's so easy for you to get back into it!

Nej said...

Breaks are a necessity. As you said, for some they are longer than for others....but they are still there, none the less. Glad to hear you're finding the joy in running again!!!!! Keep it up! :-)

Kim said...

Good for you for taking a break when you needed it! Sometimes we keep pushing ourselves to run and that makes us miserable! I wanted to take a break in the end of spring but had signed up for too much stuff. I won't do that again!

Anonymous said...

I completely understand you here! I'm glad you found your running mojo agian.

J said...

YAY!! That is so exciting! Glad you are back and feeling good! We all need a break sometime!