Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First Day in Ohio

In Ohio visiting my dad who went through his 4th chemo treatment on Monday. Hopefully only 2 more after this month. We will know for sure in 2 weeks when he has his next scan to see how much of the cancer has been killed. My step-mom had a scan Monday to confirm no cancer cells had returned (she was diagnosed with breast cancer, had a double mastectomy, and went through chemo, all 6 months before my dad was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma). News came back today - all clear so that is a big relief!

I arrived late Monday so luckily I ran in Chicago before I left. 7 miles with 6 x 100 strides. My legs felt heavy and it was warm. I think warmer than any run in August! Which is crazy! I'm glad I put the miles in before the 5 1/2 hour drive. Tuesday was me trying to get used to working from Ohio and not having my full home office. I had breakfast and lunch with dad since he stays home the day after the treatment so that was nice to have some father/daughter one on one time. It's a rarity in this house now! Today I had 10 miles with 4 x 1200 meter repeats on the schedule that I put off until the end of the day. I decided to run around the neighborhood then head up to the Jr. High track/high school soccer stadium to do the repeats. Yeah, I made it through 3 repeats, not so good. These kicked my ass today! I did run the full 10 miles though :). After the 1st repeat I was hurting since I went out too fast. The 2nd I thought I couldn't go on anymore. During the 3rd the boys soccer team started showing up to do some pre-game warm-ups and I starting feeling a little self-conscious so I took off to finish up my remaining miles around town.
I came home and cooked a healthy dinner for the family. All in all a good first full day in Ohio even though I didn't quite hit my speed session this week. It's nice being around the family even though I do miss the hubby who's holding down the fort back in Chi-town.

10 comments:

Mark said...

Hope you have a great visit, good news about your step-mom.
Good run! I always go out too fast in my track work-outs!

Marlene said...

Great news about your step-mom! I hope Dad is doing well too. It's great that you get to spend some quality time together.

God work fitting in the runs!

RunToTheFinish said...

So glad you are able to get home to spend time with the fam and that so far all signs are pointing to health.

way to go on keeping up with the speedwork

kristen said...

Good news all around. Your dad sounds like he's holding up well. I know it's great for him to have you around. Father daughter time is awesome!

Good job on your run too. I think this is the time where we have just put our legs through so much and they start to get a little pissy with us. Keep it up!

X-Country2 said...

Great news on your step-mom and very best wishes to you dad.

Jess said...

Glad you were able to get some great news about your step mom! Hoping for the same for your dad! Nice job getting your miles in too!

MCM Mama said...

Great news about your step-mom. Hope the chemo is done soon for your dad.

Good job getting the miles in!

kilax said...

I am so happy your step mom got the good news! And, I think it is awesome you can be there with your dad. I love that one on one time! It's rare for me too :)

J said...

Hope your dad continues to do well and glad to hear about your step mom! that is wonderful news! And you got workouts in! You are one tough cookie!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

awesome news about your step-mom, fingers crossed for your dad too :)